Root Canal Treatment/Crown
ROOT CANAL TREATMENT
Due to neglect or poor dentistry the tooth may get infected or there maybe inflammation of the pulp. This can cause pain, sensitivity to heat or cold, tooth discolouration, swelling or soreness in the gums surrounding the tooth. Root canal treatment is then required to save the tooth. Root canal treatment is a 3-4 visit treatment and involves taking x rays at various stages of the procedure.
Root canal treatment may involve one to three visits to the dentist. The dentist will remove the pulp of the tooth. They will then clean and seal the pulp chamber and root canal/s.
Steps Involved In Root Canal Treatment:
- An opening is made through the crown of the tooth into the chamber where the pulp is found.
- The pulp is removed, and the root canal/s are cleaned and shaped into a form that can be filled easily.
- Medications to prevent infection may be placed in the pulp chamber.
- Your dentist may leave the tooth open in order for it to drain, however often a temporary filling is placed in the crown of the tooth to protect it until your next visit. Antibiotics may be prescribed to help prevent infection.
- The temporary filling will be removed, and after cleaning, the pulp chamber and root canal/s will be filled.
- Finally, your dentist may place a crown (either porcelain or gold) over your tooth.
At Lifeline Dental we use the latest technology of rotary endodontic files for root canal therapy.
Rotary endodontic files use an engine to rotate the endodontic file during root canal treatment. The advantages of rotary endodontics are reduced instrumentation times and fewer files used during the procedure. Commonly Nickel-Titanium files are used because of their greater flexibility which permits increasingly curved roots to be treated. The use of Ni-ti files comes at a cost of at increased risk of fractured endodontic files, possibly necessitating endodontic retreatment.
Once the dentist is satisfied that the canals are all clean and you are pain free then we seal the canals. To do this we use the latest root canal sealers called ThermafillObturators manufactured by Dental Company: Dentsply.
THERMAFILL TO SEAL THE CANALS
Thermafil offers a unique, patented, central carrier that is uniformly pre-coated with gutta-percha. In a single insertion Thermafil achieves a rapid three-dimensional obturation of the root canal system. During insertion the gutta-percha precedes the carrier apically, obturating the canal to the apex, filling available lateral and accessory canals at the same time.